Friday, 15 June 2012

It takes a village

This weekend we celebrated my Dad's 60th at the beach... The weather was terrible!  Blowing a gale and raining, but the weekend could not have been more perfect...


My relationship with my Dad has been over the years up and down... After my parents divorced when I was 9, we had many years of fun but also disconnectedness... He remarried when I was about 16 and my relationship with my step mother was interesting to say the least...  However since I have had my own daughter things have changed... I dont know if it is me that now understands the difficulty in maintaining the perfect relationship with your child, or that they now appreciate me as the mother of their grandchild... Either way the past 2 years have been a wonderful time of reconnecting and seeing just how nice it is to have a Dad to rely on...



 So this weekend was all about spending some one on one time with my Dad and step mum... Something we have not done over night since Ayda was born... I was a bit worried at first as they are the type to over ride what I say when dealing with Ayda and I wondered how I would go, gritting my teeth for 3 nights! But I could not have been more wrong...



Watching my Dad and step mum get so much joy out of Ayda was heart melting... Yes they did over ride a lot of my decisions, like when I said "no more chippys now Ayda, that's enough" they were quick to give her "just one more"... Or when she was whinging for no apparent reason and I had asked her to please stop or she would need to go to her room until she could be a fun girl, they were just there ready to bundle her in their arms and 'shhh' her into submission... And whilst I thought all these things would drive me crazy, they made me step back and realise that it really does take a village to raise a child...


During that weekend my Step Mum taught Ayda 3 new songs that I had never heard of, but that she loves and has been singing ever since... They let her have her own $2 and let her pick anything she liked from the discount shop and thought it was adorable that she picked a horrid, rubber snake!  They let her stay up late snuggling on the couch and tickled her back until she fell asleep... But best of all they held her, and showered her in love and kisses and their undivided attention.... She was the centre of their universe for those 4 days and she soaked up every second!


I realise now that sometimes what others give your child is not always what you would expect, or even want... But all those that can love your child the way you do is special and I will never deny anyone that chance to love on my daughter.... Because that would be denying Ayda some of the best kinds of love... I learnt this weekend to let down my defences and just go with it... I didnt rouse on them for spoiling her because she is the only grandchild they will ever have (in Australia, my brother has a daughter in the UK which we do not get to see very often) .... Besides, I know that the more people that have a hand in raising Ayda, the richer her life will be.... Lucky, lucky girl...









No comments:

Post a Comment